Friday, August 29, 2008

Orlando Day 3

This morning we experimented with having breakfast at Ponderosa a steakhouse which is a $4.99 all you can eat breakfast. The building is across the roadway from the resort. They have all the normal breakfast cereals, porridge, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, fruit etc, but most of it is mass produced and very plain food. After breakfast Adam and I went straight to the supermarket next door and purchased some breakfast cereal for the rest of our stay in Orlando.

Next we went to the convention centre of the resort to pick up our parcels we posted with our beer trading items in them and took them back to the room. I then did some work on the blog. I have found that I am not getting enough time to post all the photos onto the Flickr photo web page but will try to catch up with that after I get through Las Vegas and things settle down a bit.

Next five of us caught a taxi to the local Walmart store. This is the largest supermarket chain in USA. Think of it as a Woolworths, Big W, Kmart, Bunnings all put together. I do not think it would be possible to not be able to get anything you wanted in this shop.
I was able to buy another 10 different tubes of Pringles,


some Guinness bottles and a new shirt. We spent about an hour in the store and then went back to the resort. Grabbing a few sandwiches for lunch and then sitting in the shade near the huge pool for a few hours.

After this I started walking from room to room looking at the various peoples trading items they had set up for people to look at. One person had for sale two mint condition Guinness American cans from the early 1960’s. There are 18 different variations of this can known and the two he had were amongst the rarest of them. I nearly choked when I saw the price of them $1,800 US each. Needless to say I did not purchase them.


I went room to room for just on four hours and spent the entire time on Level 10 of the tower. I did not even get a chance to get to any of the other 9 floors. I was able to pick up a couple of Guinness cans and a lot of coasters and a few other Guinness badges and table stands.

At 7.00pm the entire Australian contingent met for a drink at the central bar in the reception building and we took a group photo.

We then headed off to a gathering put on by Joe Germino, who is the President of the BCCA. He entertained about 50 people in his villa for dinner.

After this I again went room to room and managed to get through floors 9, 8 and 7 before heading off to bed at 1.30am. I was able to pick up a lot of coasters and a few beer bottle tops during the night.

Tomorrow is the start of the main trading in the huge conference centre so it will be a very busy day.

2 comments:

chumly said...

Man for $1,800 a beer, it better give you one good buzz.

Anonymous said...

KB, we are all looking at your blog, its goog to see that all made it and are having a great time by the sound of things. Tell Baz Souths lost to Roosters 22/20. Half time 22/0. Souths had a kick at goal on full time hit left post and went out, would have gone to golden point. Say hi to all ffrom us, and enjoy, sounds as if you will. D&J