Thursday, August 28, 2008

Orlando Day 2

This morning I went to Disney Epcot, one of the Disney parks right near where we are staying. Epcot is a two theme park. Ray and I took a free shuttle bus this is provided by our resort at 9.00am. The trip went via Disney World first to drop off people and then onto Epcot.

On arrival you need to walk about 15 minutes to get to the entry from the shuttle drop off point. The area for car parking is enormous. On entry you go into the area which is called Future World. There are nine areas in Future World including Space Ship Earth, Universe of Energy, Mission Space, Innovations, Imagination etc. In each area there is either a ride through different sections each which provide commentary on the particular scene you have in front of you or there is a theatre where you watch a short documentary on the theme of the display.

They were quite good, possibly the best of these was a 3D display in the Imagination section called ‘Honey, I Shrunk The Audience’ based on the movie ‘Honey, I Shrunk The Kids’. The 3D was really good, really putting the items right into your face plus using vibrating seats, wind generators and water sprays to make you feel the show.

There was of course thousands of people in the park and a lot of wheelchairs ans strollers are hired out during the day. At the side of each exibit is a car park for strollers.

After this was the second themed area called World Showcase featuring the countries, Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, USA, Japan, Morocco, France, U.K. and Canada. It was similar to the Expo that was in Brisbane in 1988. You would go from one exhibit to the other and like the previous you would get either a documentary or a ride with various scenes to go through.

We were there till 7.00pm and still did not get through all the exhibits. By this time the heat and humidity which we had been walking through all day finally caught up with us and we caught the shuttle back to the resort.

Tonight was the same as yesterday with room to room trading but there was a lot more rooms open on a lot of the floors.



One of the local breweries has provided free kegs of beer for drinking by the Canvention participants and the keg was set up in the room of one of the former Presidents of the BCCA. I therefore had already got plenty of bottles of water in the fridge and just kept going back to my room to get another bottle as I needed it.

I met up with some people who have been to Australia to one of our meetings and also of course a lot of collectors for the first time. I also met my friend Steen from Denmark who is here for the Canvention. Steen is a beer coaster collector who has been to Sydney many times and I look after him with transport and trading when he is in Sydney. He will be coming to Sydney to our Coaster Convention which is on the first weekend of October. I had been picking up coasters for Steen on my travels and he was very surprised with the amount of new coasters I had been able to pick up in my four weeks away.



Next Adam Murphy from Newcastle arrived. I am sharing a suite with Adam and we went and got some diner and caught up with each other. Following was some more walking the floors of the Tower meeting more people and picking up some more items for my collection.


Once again it was way past midnight before I was able to get away and headed back to the room to sleep.

No comments: