Wednesday, August 6, 2008

London to Ramsgate - Cliffs End

Arriving at Mordon South station I had to get my ticket I had pre-purchased on Saturday. The station is un-manned and has a ticket machine at the entrance to the station. You are required to put the credit card you used to buy the ticket into a slot in the machine and then type in your booking reference. The machine checks that the card and the booking number match and then prints out the ticket's you require.

The train arrived soon after and I had to travel about seven stations to Peckham Rye station and change trains. I checked the departure boards on the platform and then had to change across to another set of platforms to continue the journey. I had just got onto the platform when the train come in and jumped straight onto it luckily I went straight across to the other platform as the train was a few minutes early.

I rang and spoke to Mel who arranged to pick me up from Ramsgate station when I get there. The train journey will take approx. 2 hour and ten minutes. The weather is very good, a few clouds in the sky but mainly clear skies and it is quite warm.

The train crossed the river Medway at Rochester and you could see it was low tide. There is a very big difference in the river heights between high and low tides. At this point there is a submarine beached on the side of the river at low tide.

The country side is quite pretty with plenty of green fields, typical English countryside. There are a lot of fields with crops in them and a lot have covers over the crops.
Travelling further along the train came to the coastline and followed it down along the east coast of England. I saw a few of the holiday camps that are set up along the coastline. Bit different looking to our caravan parks.

Arriving at Ramsgate, Mel and Jim were waiting for me and we went to their home at Cliffs End which is only 10 minutes out of Ramsgate. They area around here is a historical area dating back long time. It is an area where Viking ships landed and viking relics have been found in the region.

After having lunch we went to Broadstairs to look at the boardwalk and the beach. The beach is known as Viking Bay.


It is the summer school holidays here so the beach was crowded. We had some afternoon tea up above the beach where the local council has developed a nice garden and common.


Luckily for me Jim has a Wi-Fi connection to his router so I can access the laptop quite easily to put in the photos up on line at my flickr page

No comments: