Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dublin Day 6

The forecast is for a dry day so I hope that is true as it has rained for some part of every day since I arrived.

I had to post the parcel I had made up last night, so I hailed a taxi and got him to drive to the main post office on the other side of the Liffey in O'Connel Street. The parcel weighed 17.8kg. I was lucky I had gone to an ATM before I got the taxi as the post office do not take credit cards! The cost of posting is quite close to the VAT refund I will get when I leave the country so that worked out well.

From there I walked through the shopping area
and bought a few Guinness items at Guinness store which is in the centre of town. They had a few things that you can not get at the brewery.


From there I walked back to the hotel to drop off the shopping via Temple Bar and took some photos of the pubs during the day.





I had arranged to go to the Archive Room again at the Guinness Storehouse but as there was an in-house event on during the morning I was told that it would not be available until 1pm, so I had some time to spare.

I knew that Guinness used to ship their barrels along the Liffey by Barge and use the canal ways to transport the beer around Ireland in the late 1800's until the 1960's. So I went for a walk along the river towards the Guinness Storehouse. I stopped at a couple of pubs along the way and also passed the wall of the old City of Dublin and went under the stone covered bridge between the Christ Church Cathedral and another building which used to be the Church of Ireland Synod Hall.




Along either side of the river is one way for vehicles and there are quite a few bridges crossing the river at regular intervals. Some of them are old steel structures and others are more modern structures.



Further along I found the Guinness dispatch yard and got some photos of some of the Guinness vehicles entering and leaving the yard.





Just past here on the side road of this section of the brewery run the city tram which runs up Steven's Lane from the city centre and out to Tallaght in the south west suburbs. It is a modern tram system which looks very well patronised.

By this time it was 12.30 so I went to the Storehouse and had some lunch in the Cafe before going to the Archive room. I was there till it closed at 5pm and was still reading information about Guinness in Australia in the 1920's when it was time to go.

I went back to the hotel before going out for dinner and a final walk around Temple Bar before I heading back to write up this blog post.

Tomorrow I head back to London where I will be until Sunday when I leave for the Canvention in Orlando Florida.

No comments: