Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dublin Day 4 & 5

I will combine two days so to catch up. I have been writing one day behind as to ensure I can get the photos downloaded and pick up some to put on the blog.

Well the last two days have been the same in regards to what I have done. I have got up early and going for a walk around the local area of Temple Bar before getting some breakfast at a local cafe. Then going back to the hotel and getting my camera and computer and walking to the Guinness Storehouse. I have been going into the archive area and reading books on the history of Guinness beer being bought to Australia.

Deidre, who is the lady in the archive that has been assisting me with my enquiry's has been bringing journals for me to look at that were written by Guinness employees that were sent to Australia in 1900, 1904, 1908 and 1925.

The archive also has in a separate section the work history of past Guinness employees which people come in to do research on family history.
I have spent about 5 hours each day going through these journals and find them absolutely fascinating. The journals talk about Bottling companies and their agents in Australia in each Capital city and also some visits to Australian breweries.
After this I have been going to the gift shop and buying some memorabilia for my collection.


I have been coming back to the hotel after this and on Monday Night went to Temple Bar and listened to some music in a couple of pubs and last night I spent in the room making up a large parcel which I will go and post this morning.

No comments: