Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 37 - Dublin - London

I was up early to finish packing and down to reception to ensure my account was paid up. Then back to the room to get my bags. I ended up with my pilot’s case and my laptop bag full and I managed to get all the other things into the Guinness Brewery bag that you get when you purchase anything from the brewery. It is a big bag and it works good for plane flights cause it is seen by airlines as a duty free shopping bag. I had it half full of beer coasters and then my purchases from the brewery shop on top.

I went down to Dame Street and waited for the airport bus. It was only a 50 metre walk from the front of the hotel. I waited 15 minutes for the bus and there were a lot of others waiting for it also. The bus was quite full by the time we got on it and it still has more places to stop to pick up passengers before we go off to the airport.

They managed to fit everyone on but there were suitcases everywhere on the bus as we left the city via the tollway tunnel for the airport. It is about a fifteen minute ride from the start of the tunnel so it was not long and we were at Terminal 2 and I was inside at the self serve check-in screen printing my ticket.

From there I went up to the second level where there is a food court before you go through the customs check. I grabbed some breakfast before I headed through the Customs and luggage screening. I then sat in the open area inside the terminal proper and they are advertising that during September they are offering free Wi-Fi inside the terminal. I sat for about an hour and a half checking emails and writing some up some of my blog posts. There was a constant stream of people walking past as well to keep me entertained.

Just before the time came to go to the gate for the plane I went and did a bit of shopping at the duty free. They were selling Guinness items and also had some sale items available so I spent up the rest of my Euro’s before heading back to England.

Boarding the plane I was surprised that it was full for a lunchtime flight on a Thursday. So there were no spare seats on the plane. It was once again a non eventful flight and we arrived at Gatwick Airport without any problems. It was a quick trip through the customs area as they were not stamping passports for people coming in from the Republic of Ireland, they were just checking your boarding pass and letting you straight through.

I was looking for Stewart when I came through the arrives area but he is off working with on of his main clients so one of his other drivers picked me up and drove me back to Stewart and Jeanette’s home. I got in this time without setting of the alarm and text Stewart to let him know I was home.

I again checked some emails and the news from home before watching some Rugby World Cup highlights on the television. Stewart came in latter on and we caught up on my travels in Dublin and everything else. Jeanette came in a bit later and spoilt us both with a lovely dinner.

After dinner we went out to Stewart's work office to drop off some boxes that had been delivered to the house and he was able to catch up on a bit of office work while we were there. From there it was back home and by this time it was time for bed.

No comments: