Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 35 - Dublin

I slept late today and stayed in the room till just on twelve and then got a taxi back over to the Woolshed Baa for lunch. I still have not been able to catch up with Emma who works there and we met in May. She was not on today either but I stayed and had lunch and watched some replays of a couple of World Cup Rugby matches form earlier today.

By the time I had finished lunch it was time I had to go to the brewery for my research so I jumped into another Taxi and went to the Storehouse entrance at the Brewery. The Storehouse is the building the Guinness museum is in and it also houses the archive area. I went to the reception at the entry and said I was going to the Archive and the lady phoned through and then told me to go on through to the rooms.

They have moved the entry to the Archives since I was last there and I was lucky that someone saw me and pointed me in the right direction. Entering the Archive I was met by Deidre who was the Archivist I worked with last time I was there in 2008. She was off on maternity leave when I was there in May and has just come back to work. I had asked for some documents that I had referenced before to get some more information plus they had some additional information that they had catalogued since I was last there. They still have a lot of items to catalogue from the archive so there would be information that will become available later in the years to come.

I spent the next three hours looking through the paperwork that was given to me and wrote down many notes from the paperwork. The new papers that they have catalogued are from 1930 and are meeting minute notes from meetings between Guinness and the Bottling Companies that were bottling the barrels of Guinness and then exporting them around the world.

The sections of the notes on Australia were of interest to me and the different bottling companies’ shared similar thoughts and it was interesting reading. At the end of the day I still had more papers to read through plus I also asked for some of the books I read through on my previous visit to check some of my notes I wrote last time.

When I came out of the brewery it was raining so I got a taxi back to hotel and checked my notes in case I had to double check them tomorrow.

Just on seven o’clock I went out for a walk, it had stopped raining by now so I went down Dame Street back towards the city and stopped for dinner at one of the food shops. Then I walked through a few pubs double checking for more coasters and then I crossed the road and went down some of the side roads to the south of Dame Street where I had not gone last night.

I was also watching parts of soccer games as I was travelling along. It is the first night of The European Champions League tonight. There were four games on the television to choose from and different pubs had different games to choose from. I ended back at the pub below the hotel I am staying at. They had two games showing and about 20 people were in the bar watching them.

Once the games finished it was getting late and I had to be at the brewery again in the morning so I went up to the room and watched a bit of TV before getting some sleep.

No comments: