Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 14 – Lafayette – Lexington

Another driving day today, I had a sleep in and was on the road by 10.30am. I visited a local supermarket to get some more cereal and snack food for the next week. It was then onto the freeway and off south towards Kentucky.

On the way I passed through Indianapolis and I took the opportunity to visit the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the Indianapolis 500. You enter the property by driving under the grandstand and the track into the infield area.


When you come back up to ground level right in front of you is the Indianapolis Hall Of Fame. It costs $5 to enter and the area is a mixture of racing cars, trophies, photographs and memorabilia from the 100 year history of the track.












It also goes through the history of the families that have owned the facility and there is also a display of historic motorcycles.










I spent some money in the gift shop but was unable to do the Track Tour as it is not operating at the moment as this weekend is the Moto GP race at the track. The track has been set up for the race and the track is closed. I was able to get up close to turn 7 and grab a few photos.


Leaving Indianapolis I headed towards the Kentucky boarder and crossed the river into Louisville. I took a wrong turn and had to drive in a big circle through the city to get back to the right freeway entry and continue south.

From there I was getting weary so I decided to stop the night in Lexington rather than drive onto Tennessee. I had a quick bite to eat and watched some baseball before turning the light off.

No comments: