Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 4 Groton – Springfield


I was up a lot earlier today as I needed to be on the road by 8.30am at the latest. I was able to arrange to drop off the car at a Budget desk in a hotel in Springfield at no extra cost on top of dropping it back where I picked it up from.

Packed the luggage and was off right on 8.30am. Groton is the United States Navy's primary submarine base, and I visited the World War II National Submarine Memorial. (I later found out is one of two memorials to WW2 Submarines the other being in California on the west coast.) It is a good tribute to the lives lost.









From there I started off on my 2 hour drive stopping off at a Home Depot store to purchase a power tool battery for my brother. It is half the price to buying it in Australia. I also stopped at Target to get a carry bag for some items I had bought earlier.

Next stop was the hotel I will be in for the next week to check in and to drop off my luggage before returning the rental car. After getting everything up to my room I then took the car and filled it up before returning it to the rental company. The hotel was in a rough looking neighbourhood and I actually arranged for a taxi cab to get me back to the hotel.

Once back I caught up with two of the Canadian collectors who are good friends, Ed and Larry. They live in Vancouver. Also with some other USA collectors and then late Max and Ray from Australia. I walked around the local area a bit to get my bearings, stopping for some lunch and some milk for breakfast and snacks for the hotel room.

I then went up to the room and had an afternoon lap and also did some work on the computer. After which I found some of the collectors already had their rooms open to display they items they had for sale. I soon found some Guinness things to buy and also a few people gave me some things that they had saved for me.

It was time then for some dinner and I caught up with one of the Californian collectors I know and we had dinner in the Sports Bar in the hotel where we chatted with some other hotel quests for a couple of hours. By this time it was nearly 11pm so I went back to the room to check some emails and called it a night.

No comments: