Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day 3 Groton – Newport – Groton



Late start again, I am still trying to adjust the body clock to US time. Breakfast was the cereal I had bought at Wal-Mart yesterday and then I jumped into the car for the drive over to Newport, Rhode Island. It was only an hour fifteen minute drive across to Newport. That included a $4 bridge toll coming into Newport.


This is a pretty important place to Aussies as it is where we took the America's Cup yacht racing Trophy from the USA after a 132 year reign. Crossing the bridge gives a great view of the harbour and city area. It is one of the oldest towns in the USA being founded in 1637.

I parked in a back street near the centre of the town for free and walked the streets for a while. I stopped at the Fastnet Pub for a soft drink and they were showing the Wallabies V’s All Blacks game from Saturday in NZ. I already knew the score from the internet but the Kiwi bloke in the pub who was watching it did not. So I made sure I did not let on that I was from Australia. I also managed to pick up some Millers beer coasters from the pub.

From there I walked down past some historical buildings including the Colony House which was completed in 1739. It was used as the state house until 1901. It is now owned by the Newport Historical Society and is available for function bookings.


There is also a street of shops that I walked along and bought some small souvenirs’ and also a Guinness Ice Hockey jersey. I have seen them on eBay for over $100, I tried it on and it fitted so I bought it for $75.

From there I checked out a pub called Buskers Irish Pub in Thames Street. It was set out as a traditional Irish bar with all the signs and Irish memorabilia. I managed to get some new Heineken coasters off the barman.

I then went and got the car and drove to another section of the town to the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum. The first American Open Tennis Open for Men was held at the courts on the property in 1881 and continued until 1914. The old buildings are very well maintained.




In 1951 it became the home to the International Tennis Hall of Fame. For many years they continued to play some Davis Cup at the courts. There is still an ATP tournament held there each year with Lleyton Hewitt being this year’s Runner-Up. I paid the $10 entry fee and walked around the facility. The building is set out into different areas for different periods of tennis and has a section dedicated to each Hall Of Fame Inductee.

Going back to the car I drove around the town to the harbour area and walked a section of the foreshore near the old fort. I even found a rugby ground in the area.

Going back to the centre of the town I visited one more Irish Pub called O’Briens Pub. It has a large beer garden and was packed on the Sunday afternoon. As it was getting late in the afternoon I thought I had better get back to the motel. So I headed back over the bridge out of Newport and stopped on the way to get some dinner and some fruit for later.

It was dark as I got back to Groton and I spent the evening downloading my photos, repacking and watching some T.V.

No comments: